PRIVACY CENTER FOR MESHNE.COM / MESH NEW ENGLAND MAGAZINE (“THE MAGAZINE”)
Last Updated: FEBRUARY 20, 2019
We respect your privacy and want to provide you with the options, information, and choices below so that, if you choose to, you can express your preferences on: what and how much of your personal information you share with us and when and how you hear from us. We do not sell your personal information or data, and only share it with the persons or entities, and for the purposes, described herein.
We want to engage with you in a way that is valuable to you, including how often you want to hear from us. To unsubscribe to any communications from us, use the “unsubscribe” link contained at the bottom of any of our communications to you.
PRIVACY STATEMENT FOR THE MAGAZINE
THE MAGAZINE, THE MAGAZINE Management Company and THE MAGAZINE’s marketer, value you as a customer and recognizes that privacy is important to you. So, we want you to be familiar with how THE MAGAZINE collects, use and discloses data.
This Privacy Statement describes the privacy practices of THE MAGAZINE for data that we collect:
● through websites operated by us, or on our behalf now or in the future, through which you are accessing this Privacy Statement, including, but not limited to THE MAGAZINE website,
● through the software applications made available by us for use on or through computers and mobile devices (the “Apps”)
● through our social media pages that we control from which you are accessing this Privacy Statement (collectively, our “Social Media Pages”)
● through HTML-formatted email messages that we send you that link to the websites with this Privacy Statement and through your communications with us
● when you interact with us via websites, the Apps and our Social Media Pages, ( “Online Services”) , together we collectively refer to herein as the “Services.”
By using the Services, you agree to the terms and conditions of this Privacy Statement.
Collection of Personal Data
“Personal Data” are data that identify you as an individual or relate to an identifiable individual.
We collect Personal Data, in some cases as is required by law, such as:
● Postal address
● Telephone number
● Email address
● Credit and debit card number or other payment data
● Financial information in limited circumstances
● Language preference
● Important dates, such as birthdays, anniversaries and special occasions
● Geolocation information
● Social media account ID, profile photo and other data publicly available
If you submit any Personal Data about other people to us or our Service Providers (e.g., if you make a purchase for another individual), you represent that you have the authority to do so and do hereby consent on your own behalf, and on behalf on anyone you are assisting, to and permit us to use the data (as defined herein) collected in any way by us, including through Services, in accordance with this Privacy Statement.
How We Collect Personal Data
We collect Personal Data, including through the Services, in a variety of ways:
● Online Services. We collect Personal Data when you, purchase goods and services from our Websites or Apps, communicate with us, or otherwise connect with us or post to social media pages, or sign up for a newsletter or participate in a survey, contest or promotional offer.
● Offline Interactions. We also collect Personal Data when you attend promotional events that we host or in which we participate, or when you provide your Personal Data to facilitate an event.
● Other Sources. We collect Personal Data from other sources, such as public databases, joint marketing partners and other third parties.
● Internet-Connected Devices. We collect Personal Data from internet-connected devices available in our properties. For example, a smart home assistant may be available for your use and to tailor your accommodations and experience.
● Physical & Mobile Location-Based Services. We collect Personal Data if you download one of our Apps or choose to participate in certain programs. For example, we may collect the precise physical location of your device by using satellite, cell phone tower, WiFi signals, or other technologies. We will collect this data if you opt in through the App or other program (either during your initial login or later) to receive the special offers and to enable location-driven capabilities on your mobile device. If you have opted-in, the App or other program will continue to collect location data until you log off or close application (i.e., the App or other program will collect this data if it is running in the background) or if you use your phone’s or other device’s setting to disable location capabilities for the App or other program.
Collection of Other Data
“Other Data” are data that generally do not reveal your specific identity or do not directly relate to an individual. To the extent Other Data reveal your specific identity or relate to an individual, we will treat Other Data as Personal Data. Other Data include:
● Browser and device data
● App usage data
● Data collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies
● Demographic data and other data provided by you
● Aggregated data
How We Collect Other Data
We collect Other Data in a variety of ways:
● Browser or device. We collect certain data through browsers or automatically through an end-user device, such as the Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Macintosh), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, internet browser type and version and the name and version of the Online Services (such as the Apps) being used. We use this data to ensure that the Online Services function properly.
● Use of the Apps. We collect certain data when a user downloads and uses an App, such as App usage data, the date and time the App on your device accesses our servers and what data and files have been downloaded to the App based on your device number.
● Cookies. We collect certain data from cookies, which are pieces of data stored directly on the computer or mobile device being used. Cookies allow us to collect data such as browser type, time spent on the Online Services, pages visited, referring URL, language preferences, and other aggregated traffic data. We use the data for security purposes, to facilitate navigation, to display data more effectively, to collect statistical data, to personalize the user experience while using the Online Services and to recognize the end-user computer to assist in use of the Online Services. We also gather statistical data about use of the Online Services to continually improve design and functionality, understand how they are used and assist us with resolving questions.
You can choose whether to accept cookies by changing the settings on your browser. To turn off and not accept cookies follow the instructions for settings on your specific computer and choice of browser. If, however, you do not accept cookies, you may experience some inconvenience in your use of the Online Services. For example, we will not be able to recognize your computer. You also will not receive advertising or other offers from us that are relevant to your interests and needs. At this time, we do not respond to browser “Do-Not-Track” signals.
● Pixel Tags and other similar technologies. We collect data from pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs), which are used with some Online Services to, among other things, track the actions of users of the Online Services (including email recipients), measure the success of our marketing campaigns and compile statistics about usage of the Online Services.
● Adobe Flash technology (such as Flash Local Shared Objects (“Flash LSOs”)) and other similar technologies.We collect data through Flash LSOs and other technologies on some Websites to, among other things, collect and store data about your use of the Online Services. If you do not want Flash LSOs stored on your computer, you can adjust the settings of your Flash player to block Flash LSO storage. Please note that setting the Flash Player to restrict or limit acceptance of Flash LSOs may reduce or impede the functionality of some Flash applications, including those used with the Online Services.
● Your IP Address. We collect your IP address, a number that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). An IP address is identified and logged automatically in our server log files when a user accesses the Online Services, along with the time of the visit and the pages that were visited. We use IP addresses to calculate usage levels, diagnose server problems and administer the Online Services. We also may derive your approximate location from your IP address.
Aggregated Data. We may aggregate data that we collected and this aggregated data will not personally identify you or any other user.
Use of Personal Data and Other Data
We use Personal Data and Other Data to provide you with Services, to develop new offerings and to protect THE MAGAZINE and our subscribers as detailed below. In some instances, we will request that you provide Personal Data or Other Data to us directly. If you do not provide the data that we request, or prohibit us from collecting such data, we may not be able to provide the requested Services.
We use Personal Data and Other Data for our legitimate business interests, including the following:
● Provide the Services you request. We use Personal Data and Other Data to provide Services you request, including:
● To complete your subscription, for example, to process your payment, ensure that your subscription is fulfilled.
● To support our electronic receipt program. When you provide an email address in subscribing, we use that email address to send you a copy of your bill. If you make a subscription for another person using your email address, that person's bill will be emailed to you, as well. You can opt out of receiving your bill via email and instead receive a paper copy by contacting us directly.
We will use Personal Data and Other Data to manage our contractual relationship with you, because we have a legitimate interest to do so and/or to comply with a legal obligation.
● Communicate with you about goods and services according to your Personal Preferences. We use Personal Data and Other Data to:
○ Send you marketing communications and promotional offers, as well as periodic customer satisfaction, market research or quality assurance surveys
We will use Personal Data and Other Data in this way with your consent, to manage our contractual relationship with you and/or because we have a legitimate interest to do so.
● Sweepstakes, activities, events and promotions. We use Personal Data and Other Data to allow you to participate in sweepstakes, contests and other promotions and to administer these activities. Some of these activities have additional rules and may contain additional information about how we use and disclose your Personal Data. We suggest that you read any such rules carefully.
We use Personal Data and Other Data in this way with your consent, to manage our contractual relationship with you and/or because we have a legitimate interest to do so.
● Business Purposes. We use Personal Data and Other Data for data analysis, audits, security and fraud monitoring and prevention (including with the use of closed circuit television, card keys, and other security systems), developing new goods and services, enhancing, improving or modifying our Services, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and operating and expanding our business activities.
We use Personal Data and Other Data in this way to manage our contractual relationship with you, comply with a legal obligation and/or because we have a legitimate interest to do so.
Disclosure of Personal Data and Other Data
Our goal is to provide you with the highest level of hospitality and Services, and to do so, we share Personal Data and Other Data with the following:
● Service Providers. We disclose Personal Data and Other Data to third-party service providers for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement. Examples of service providers include companies that provide website hosting, data analysis, payment processing, order fulfillment, information technology and related infrastructure provision, customer service, email delivery, marketing, auditing and other services.
Corporate Restructuring. We may disclose or transfer your Personal Data and Other Data to a third party in the event of any restructuring, business reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of THE MAGAZINE business, assets or stock (including in any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
Other Uses and Disclosures
We will use and disclose Personal Data as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) to comply with applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including authorities outside your country of residence and to meet national security or law enforcement requirements; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations; (f) to protect the rights, privacy, safety or property of THE MAGAZINE and affiliates, you or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
We may use and disclose Other Data for any purpose, except where we are not allowed to under applicable law. In some instances, we may combine Other Data with Personal Data (such as combining your name with your location). If we do, we will treat the combined data as Personal Data as long as it is combined.
Third Party Advertisers
We may use third-party advertising companies to serve advertisements regarding goods and services that may interest you when you access and use the Online Services, other websites or online services. To serve such advertisements, these companies place or recognize a unique cookie on your browser (including through use of pixel tags).
We seek to use reasonable organizational, technical and administrative measures to protect Personal Data. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of your account has been compromised), please immediately notify us.
Choices, Access and Retention
You have choices when it comes to how we use your data and we want to ensure you have the information to make the choices that are right for you.
If you no longer want to receive marketing-related emails, you may opt out by following the instructions in any such email you receive from us.
We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable. If you opt out of receiving marketing emails from us, we may still send you important administrative messages, from which you cannot opt out.
How can I update and access my information (Exercise my Data Subject Rights)?
If you would like to exercise any data subject right available to you under the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), including access, review, update, rectify, or delete any Personal Information that you have previously provided to us, you can contact us directly
We will retain your Personal Data for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Privacy Statement unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law.
The criteria used to determine our retention periods include:
● The length of time we have an ongoing relationship with you and provide the Services to you (for example, for as long as you have an account with us or keep using the Services)
● Whether there is a legal obligation to which we are subject (for example, certain laws require us to keep records of your transactions for a certain period of time before we can delete them)
● Whether retention is advisable considering our legal position (such as, for statutes of limitations, litigation or regulatory investigations)
Unless specifically requested, we ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, on or through the Services or otherwise to us, any Sensitive Personal Data (e.g., social security numbers, national identification number, data related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion, ideological or other beliefs, health, biometrics or genetic characteristics, criminal background, trade union membership, or administrative or criminal proceedings and sanctions).
Use of Services by Minors
The Services are not directed to individuals under the age of sixteen (16), and we request that they not provide Personal Data through the Services. However, to the extent you provide us any information as to minors, providing such information shall be your consent, on the minor’s behalf, to our use and retention of this data.
Updates to This Privacy Statement
The “Last Updated” legend at the top of this page indicates when this Privacy Statement was last revised. Any changes will become effective when we post the revised Privacy Statement on the Online Services. Your use of the Services following these changes means that you accept the revised Privacy Statement. If you would like to review the version of the Privacy Statement that was effective immediately prior to this revision, please contact us directly.